The Board will evaluate the performance of the Superintendent as a regular and scheduled activity. The primary purposes of the evaluation will be to continually improve administrative leadership, to strengthen the working relationship of the Board and Superintendent, and to assist the Board in reviewing issues associated with the Superintendent’s employment.
Following the completed evaluation process, the Board shall provide the Superintendent with a written summary of the key elements of the evaluation review.
- The Superintendent should be involved in developing the evaluation form and standards or reviewing the existing evaluation form and standards.
- The evaluation(s) should be at a regularly- scheduled time and place, in an executive session.
- The Superintendent should prepare for the evaluation by conducting a self-evaluation.
- The Board should prepare for the evaluation as following procedure CBI-R.
- The Board will meet with the Superintendent in executive session to review the evaluation:
- The Board as a whole will meet with the Superintendent to discuss the evaluation.
- The evaluation should include a discussion of strengths as well as areas identified for improvement.
- As no form or set of guidelines can encompass the totality of the Superintendent’s responsibilities, the evaluation discussion may include items not described in the evaluation form.
- The Board’s evaluation should be supported by specific examples of the Superintendent’s conduct/performance, and should represent the perspective of the majority of the Board.
- The Superintendent shall be given the opportunity to provide feedback to the Board regarding his/her perceptions of the working relationship between the Superintendent and the Board and other issues the Superintendent identifies as relevant to his/her job responsibilities and performance.
- The Board will meet in executive session to discuss issues such as compensation, benefits, and extension of contract that are directly related to the Superintendent’s evaluation and employment. The Superintendent may be invited to, or excluded from, this session at the Board’s discretion.
- The Board will meet with the Superintendent in executive session to discuss compensation, benefits, extension of contract and other matters relevant to the Superintendent’s employment.
Using the Superintendent’s evaluation(s) for the yearand the priorities established by the Board, the Board and the Superintendent will establish mutually agreed upon and clearly understood performance goals for the ensuing year prior to October 1. Progress toward these goals will be included as part of the next Board evaluation of the Superintendent.
Cross Reference: BDD - Board-Superintendent Relationship
CB - School Superintendent
CB-R - Superintendent Job Description
FIRST READING: June 26, 2014
SECOND READING: July 10, 2014
ADOPTION: July 10, 2014